As we become more aware of our impact on the environment, particularly within urban areas, green roofs are growing in popularity.
The benefits are extensive:
- Can provide a usable extra outside space and can add value to your property
- Slow water run off helps local SUDS planning and flood defences
- Helps remove CO2 and harmful pollutants from the atmosphere
- Mitigates the Urban Heat Island effect
- Releases water naturally through transpiration, improving water quality
- Creates new wildlife habitats for marginalised species
- Protects the roof from the elements and prolong its life
- Improves building energy efficiency and improves thermal insulation, significantly lowering fuel bills as a result
- Regulates internal building temperatures
- Provides acoustic insulation, reducing noise levels by up to 8 decibels
Depending on your criteria and the limitations of the roof space there are three varieties of green roof:
Intensive Green Roof
High maintenance – replicates a ground-level garden and provides a new outside usable space.
Extensive Green Roof
Low maintenance – features low growing plants, such as Sedum, for instant greening and visual appeal.
Bio-Diverse Green Roof
No maintenance – naturally recreates the pre-existing ground ecosystem.
For more information on why DuoPly is perfect as the waterproof layer underneath your Green Roof then please click here.